March 18, 2010

Can't Afford a New 360 Hard Drive? Try a USB Memory Stick ...


First, I'm back!  I've just been consumed with the beautiful Final Fantasy XIII (and work), and really haven't had the energy to post.  But it's time for me to buck up.

Now, onto the news, and what cool news it is!

Via two articles by Joystiq and Kotaku, it looks like one of the next system updates will allow the usage of USB storage devices (that have a maximum storage of 16GB)!  512MB will be used to "recognize" the storage unit, but the remainder on the device sounds like it's fair game!

This is fantastic news since I've had to delete some demos and content I didn't want to because my hard drive is steadily dwindled away!  According to the Joystiq article "Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Live Indie games, Games on Demand, DLC and Title Updates" are transferrable ... but I don't know why you'd want to move/save a TU to one ...

One drawback, however, is that one console can only recognize two memory sticks at a time, so we can't keep buying Sandisk after Sandisk stick when we need it.  But still ... 32GB of extra space?  That's more than my hard drive came with, so that's incredible news to me!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about this. It seems such a cool thing. I'm sure there are gonna be some limits to it but just to have that option is great. Feel silly for buying a 120 gig hd now.

    I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to make it where only certain brand usb's will be compatible and therefore being in charge of prices.

    It's cool anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm waiting on more of those limits, too, especially on certain brands. Time will tell, but, yeah, this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete