February 5, 2010

Fix Your Venetian Blinds - Rockstar is Bringing the Noir


Film noir is a film style closely associated with 1930s/1940s/B&W detective stories, or stories about gritty underbellies and lifestyles; and a common visual motif was the use of venetian blinds, so there, that's how the title works.  :D

Until yesterday I had never even heard of L.A. Noire.  I think it was announced in 2006?  But apparently, GameInformer and the rest of the video game world knew about it and the fact that at one time it was a PS3 exclusive and now it's also on 360, because it's gracing GI's next cover.

I have to say that this totally piques my interest.  I studied a little film noir in college and murder mysteries are some of my all time favorites in storytelling.  The official website says this:
Rockstar Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940's.

L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.

A big but for me is Rockstar's involvement, the company infamously known for Grand Theft Auto.  We could be quick to assume that the game will include some rough violence and sexual situations, but we don't know; but if it's just GTA in 1940s Los Angeles then I might shy away.  But the prospect of a murder mystery is very enticing, so I'll have to wait and read my magazine's article when it comes in.  Until then, my hopes are high as this could become one of my newest anticipated games!

Watch the stylish trailer below and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. If they gave awards for game trailers, that would win for best sound. Someone did some great work w/ footsteps on a foley stage. I would want to see some actual game play before I decided to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This game looks really cool. Mystery, Murder, and action is a great combo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your video with us even I also wondering for a site those help me and tell how to make venetian blinds at home. After watching your video I hope it will help me to make the blinds at home.

    venetian blinds

    ReplyDelete