February 4, 2010

The Post-Apocalyptic Genre Continues with Fallout: New Vegas



I don't remember now when the first details emerged concerning Fallout: New Vegas.  I guess I could look it up ... but I donwanna.  No matter, because today I know that we were given a better glimpse into this new title.  And if the Fallout games are any sort of prophetic ... I better start to like 1950s music.

If you haven't played Fallout 3 or any of the previous two 'outs, then you're missing quite an experience.  I've only gotten my hands on 3 and I highly recommend it, that is, if you have the time.  Games by Bethesda are huge (though Obsidian is at the helm, with Bethesda involved).  Fallout 3 and Oblivion are fantastic in gameplay and wide in scope.  In fact, the "choice" element that BioShock touts doesn't even compare to the effect your choices in these games leave.  I played through BioShock a second time harvesting all the Little Sisters; initially jarring, but quickly "just a thing."  I actually felt a loss when some friendly and helpful townsperson died in the outskirt towns around Washington D.C.  I found Dogmeat and felt like I let him down when I couldn't protect him against giant scorpions.  You can blow up an entire town!  They're RPGs, sure, but the level of choice and making "however you want to play it" far surpasses anything outside of reality.

*Stepping off soapbox* Sorry.  Fallout: New Vegas.  It looks good.  Teaser trailer.  IGN analyzes it.  After the jump.



TEASER:




REWIND THEATER:


No comments:

Post a Comment